Caramel Apple Cupcakes
Makes 1 dozen Cupcakes
Prep time: 30 minutes Cook time: 15-18 minutes
1 medium Golden Delicous Apple
1 medium Granny Smith Apple
1 medium Gala Apple (or other baking variety)
2 Tbl Melted Butter
1 1/2 Tbl Sugar
2 Egg Whites
1/4 cup Sour Cream
1 cup All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Sugar
1 1/2 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Cinnamon
1/4 tsp Nutmeg
1/4 tsp Salt
2 1/2 Tbl Butter, room temperature
1 Tbl Oil
1/3 cup Milk, room temperature
1. Peel, core and chop the apples into small chunks. Mix with 2 tbl melted buter and 1 1/2 tbl sugar. Spread evenly on a baking sheet and cook in a pre-heated 375F oven for 10-12 minutes or until the apples are softened and just beginning to brown around the edges. Remove from oven and allow to cool. Turn oven down to 350F.
2. In a small bowl combine egg whites and sour cream, mix until incorporated. Set aside.
3. Mix the dry ingredients in a large bowl, run a whisk through the mixture to aerate and ensure all the ingredients are evenly incorporated.
4. Using a stand mixer or hand held mixer blend in the butter, oil and milk. Mix on medium speed for 1 minute, scraping the sides at least once.
5. After the minute, scrape the sides again and add 1/2 of the egg white mixture. Mix on low until evenly incorporated, scrape the sides and repeat with the remaining egg white mixture.
6. Fold in cooled apples. Divide batter evenly between 12 cupcake tins lined with holders.
7. Bake at 350F for 15-18 minutes, rotating the pan half way through the cooking time. Test with a small toothpick to ensure doneness.
8. Remove from oven and cool before frosting. If desired drizzle with homemade caramel and freshly grated nutmeg. Enjoy!
Makes about 6 cups of frosting (You'll probably have some leftover)
3/4 cup Homemade Caramel, or good quality thick caramel sauce (recipe here)
4 cups Powdered Sugar
1/2 lb (2 sticks) Butter, room temperature
1/4 cup Shortening
4 oz Cream Cheese, room temperature
1/4 cup Sour Cream
1 tsp Vanilla
1. Place powdered butter, shortening, and cream cheese in a stand mixer and mix on medium speed until smooth. Add powdered sugar and mix on low until smooth. Add in caramel, sour cream, and vanilla. Mix again on low until smooth. If frosting is too thick thin out with a few tablespoons of heavy cream or whole milk.
2. Frost cooled cupcakes. Frosting will keep in refrigerator for 1 week or in freezer for up to 6 months.