Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Cool Time: 1 hour
Makes 4 six inch layers
1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
1/2 cup Water
1 cup Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
1/2 cup Sour Cream
2 tsp Vanilla Extract
16 tbl Unsalted Butter, softened
1 cup Agave Nectar
2 large Eggs
1/2 cup Unsweetened Apple Sauce
3/4 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
Dark Chocolate Ganache
Dark Chocolate Butter cream
Method of Preparation:
1. Heat water to boiling in the microwave in a 2 cup measuring cup. Let cool slightly and add cocoa powder and agave syrup. Mix until smooth and cool completely. Once cooled add sour cream and vanilla extract.
2. In a medium bowl mix flour with baking powder and salt. Set aside.
3. In a stand mixer or with a hand mixer beat the butter until very smooth about 1 minute. Add the eggs one at a time until smooth. Add 1/3 of the chocolate mixture followed by 1/3 of the flour mixture stirring about 30 seconds between each addition, do this until all the chocolate and flour mixtures have been used. Fold in the apple sauce.
4. Spray 4 six inch cake pans with non-stick cooking spray and portion batter between them. If you would like a two layer cake use 9 inch cake pans. ( I only have 2 six inch cake pans so I divided the batter in half and baked 2 layers at a time)
5. Bake in a 375F oven for 10-18 minutes checking every 5 minutes until the middle of the cake is set and springs back slightly when pressed. Cool completely then turn out onto a baking rack.
Spread walnut filling on the first layer, followed by chocolate ganache, top with second layer cake, then dark chocolate buttercream. Top with third layer cake more walnut filling and chocolate ganache and finally the last layer cake. If desired top cake with more buttercream or powdered sugar. If not eating right away wrap loosely in plastic wrap to keep cake from drying out.