Creamy Lime Cupcakes
Yield 1 dozen cupcakes
Prep Time 20 minutes
Cook Time 20 minutes
Total Time 40 minutes plus 20 minutes cooling
1 1/2 cup All Purpose Flour
2 tsp Baking Powder
1/2 tsp Salt
3/4 cup Sugar
3 tbl Melted Butter
2 tbl Oil
1/2 cup Milk
Zest of 1 Lime
2 tbl Lime Juice
2-3 drops Lime Oil (See note below for more info on Lime oil)
3 cups Quick "Buttercream" Frosting
1 tbl Lime Zest
2 tbl Lime Juice
2-3 drops Lime Oil
Method of Preparation:
Preheat oven to 350F
1. In a medium bowl mix flour, baking powder, salt and sugar. Whisk together for 30 seconds to evenly incorporate the ingredients.
2. Add melted butter, oil and milk and whisk until combined about 1 minute.
3. Add egg, lime zest, lime juice, and lime oil. Whisk for 30 seconds. Divide into 12 cupcake tins lined with cupcake liners.
4. Bake in a preheated oven for 20 minutes turning the tins 1/2 way through cooking.
5. Remove from oven when a toothpick inserted into the middle comes out clean. Cool on cooling rack until room temperature.
6. While cupcakes are cooling. Prepare frosting (Recipe here). Using a handheld mixer or stand mixer add the lime zest and mix thoroughly for 1 minute. Add half of the lime juice and mix for 1 minute then add remaining juice and lime oil and mix another minute. Lime juice is very acidic and may cause the frosting to separate slightly if added in too high a quantity at a time. If frosting separates add a little more butter 2 tbl at a time and mix on high until it comes back together.
7. Frosting can be tinted green with food gel if desired. Garnish cupcakes with paper thin slices of limes that have been coated in sugar.
8. Chill before serving.
**If making more than one day in advance sprinkle a little lime simply syrup over the top of each cupcake before frosting to keep them moist. Heat 3 tbl sugar with 3 tbl water until the sugar melts. Cool to room temperature and add 1 tbl lime juice and 2 drops lime oil. Spoon a small amount of syrup over each warm cupcake while it cools.
**Using Lime Oil really helps boost the lime flavor. Lime juice alone can get cooked out a bit, but the lime oil stays vibrant and fragrant. I use dōTERRA's Essential Oil Lime Oil. "dōTERRA (CPTG) Certified Pure Therapeutic Grade® essential oils represent the safest, purest, and most beneficial essential oils available today.. "Click here to find more out about dōTERRA, or contact my local dōTERRA product consultant Pam Gourlie for more info!
Back to LaLa Cake!